Old El Paso was always my parents choice when it came to making “Mexican food,” so I have many memories of them, and many more about my father bad-mouthing their competitors.
While I’ve largely moved onto using my own vegan magic on Rice/Beans/Faux-meat crumbles I still wondered when I went vegan if those old season packets my parents used by them were vegan or not.
Well lets not just check out those Season packets, but their tortillas, Taco Shells, “Dinner Kits,” Sauces, Pre-made Rice and Beans, aand the “Toppings” they sell.
Old El Paso Vegan Taco Shells and Tortillas:
- All Tortillas and Taco Shells that are not branded as “BOLD” on the front or Lime Flavored
The non-vegan Taco Shells and Tortillas Old El Paso makes is the Buttery Homestyle Soft Tortilla Bowls, Ranch Flavored Taco Shells, and the “BOLD” Flavored ones, namely the Nancho Cheese, the Spicy Cheddar, The Hint of Lime Flavor, and the Ranch flavors.
All the other Taco shells & tortillas appear to be Vegan. To clarify, these are the Vegan ones: Tostada Shells, Super Stuffer Shells, Stand ‘N Stuff Shells, Crunchy Taco Shells, Blue corn Taco Shells, Southwest Seasoned Tortillas, Crispy Flour Tortilla Shells, Flour Tortillas (for burritos or soft tacos/fajitas), Restaurante Grande Tortillas, Whole Wheat Taco Bowls, Regular Wheat Taco Bowls, and mini soft Tortilla Taco Bowls.
Old El Paso Vegan Dinner Kits:
- Soft Tortilla Taco Bowls Dinner Kit
- Hard & Soft Taco Dinner Kit
- Hard & Soft Twin Pack Dinner Kit
- Soft Taco Dinner Kit
- Fajita Dinner Kit
- Hard Taco Dinner Kit
- Stand N’ Stuff Dinner Kit
- Enchilada Dinner Kit
- Caribbean Taco Dinner Kit
- Asado Chicken Street Taco Kit
- Korean Taco Dinner Kit
The non-vegan dinner kits Old El Paso currently makes is the Adobo Steak Burrito Bowl Kit, the Carne Asada Steak Street Taco Kit, Seasoned Beef Burrito Bowl Kit, Barbacoa-Beef Street Taco Kit, Chipotle Chicken Burrito Bowl Kit, any “BOLD” dinner kits, and the Japanese Taco Dinner Kit (contains honey).
Old El Paso Vegan Seasonings:
- Mild Taco Seasoning
- Fajita Seasoning
- 25% Less Sodium Seasoning
- Original Taco Seasoning
- Chili Seasoning
- Taco Seasoning Mix (Canister)
- Hot and Spicy Taco Seasoning Mix
- Pork Carnitas (does not contain pork)
- Al Pastor (does not contain pork)
- Chorizo (does not contain pork)
The only Non-Vegan Seasonings Old El Paso makes are the “Cheesy Taco” and “Guacamole” Seasoning. The chicken taco seasoning does not explicitly say that is has chicken but it may be hidden in the “Natural Flavors” ingredient.
Old El Paso Vegan Sauces & Salsas:
- Taco Sauce (Mild, Medium, and Hot)
- Thick n’ Chunky Salsa (Mild, Medium, and Hot)
- Red Enchilada Sauce (Mild, Medium, and Hot)
- Fresh Salsa (Mild, Medium, No Hot Made)
- Green Enchilada Sauce (Mild, Medium, No Hot Made)
The non-vegan Sauce/Salsas they sell are the Creamy Salsa Verde, Zesty Ranch Sauce, the Queso Blanco Sauce, and the Creamy Queso Sauce.
Old El Paso Pre-Made Vegan Rice & Beans:
- Spanish Rice
- Vegetarian Refried Beans
- Black Bean Refried Beans
- Spicy Fat-free Refried Beans
- Cilantro Lime Rice
Unfortunately, Old El Paso’s Traditional Refried Beans and condiment (jalapeno/chili) flavored Refried Beans are non-vegan as they contain lard. Old El Paso’s “Cheesy Mexican Rice” is non-vegan as well, as it does in fact contain dairy cheese.
Old El Paso Vegan "Toppings" (Condiments):
- Chopped Green Chilis (All Sizes)
- Jalapeno Slices
Old El Paso doesn’t have any stuffed things and doesn’t do any funny business with their canned condiments: They’re all Vegan.