Starbucks is known for its wide variety of coffee drinks. Are you into the classics or have more of a sweet tooth? Either way, the coffee chain has you covered. And they have made it very easy to order your drinks vegan. Many of them are vegan – many more can be made vegan with some modifications. They even have some plant-based food options!
Here is your guide on ordering plant-based at Starbucks and some of my personal favorite vegan Starbucks drinks.
Table of Contents
Best vegan Starbucks drinks
Starbucks has more drinks than we can count, but some are better than others. And good news, vegans don’t have to miss out on anything! (Just like at Costa Coffe)
- Pink Drink – This drink is still as good as it was a couple of years ago when everyone was Instagramming it. It is a fruity cold drink made from Strawberry Acai Refresher, creamy coconut milk, and a handful of strawberries. Try their Violet Drink too!
- Espresso Frappuccino Blended Beverage – Espresso, coffee frappuccino syrup, plant milk of your choice, and ice blended together. A refreshing energy booster.
- Brewed Coffees – Sometimes less is more. A freshly brewed coffee made from your chosen coffee blend is a must-have for all coffee lovers.
- Caffe Mocha – This one is perfect for autumn and winter. Why choose between coffee and hot chocolate when you can have both at the same time! Mocha sauce is the only vegan-friendly sauce at Starbucks, and it is delicious!
- Sugar Cookie Almond Milk Latte – I have my fingers crossed this one will be back on the menu when autumn rolls around! A vegan seasonal iced coffee drink that is even better when requested hot!
- Flat White – This is for those that are into classics. Smooth ristretto shots topped with steamed milk and a small amount of microfoam. Especially good with almond milk.
- Matcha Tea Latte – Are you in need of caffeine but don’t feel like drinking coffee? It might be worth trying a matcha latte instead! Next time you order it, ask to add a pump of vanilla syrup – thank me later.
How to order vegan at Starbucks?
Making your coffee vegan-friendly is simple, but there are a few things to keep in mind when ordering at Starbucks.
For anything other than black coffees, ask to swap the dairy milk with a plant-based alternative. Starbucks offers four – get your drink with soy, oat, almond, or coconut milk. But let’s be honest, oat milk is superior when it comes to coffee.
Add taste with a few pumps of syrup! The coffee chain has different flavored syrups, and we’re happy to say that all of them are suitable for vegans!
Unlike their syrups, Starbucks’ sauces are not vegan-friendly (except mocha sauce) as they contain dairy. So, ask the staff to replace the sauce/drizzle with some syrup instead.
Other than their sauces, a few more things found in some of the drinks are not fit for vegan folks. What are they? Let’s get straight to it!
Non-vegan things to avoid at Starbucks
While Starbucks is generally vegan-friendly, some ingredients used in some of its drinks are not plant-based. Make sure to opt out of the following things when ordering at Starbucks.
- Whipped cream
- Sauces – White chocolate mocha sauce, caramel sauce, dark caramel sauce, caramel brulee sauce, pistachio sauce, pumpkin spice sauce. The only vegan-friendly sauce at Starbucks is their mocha sauce.
- Cinnamon Dolce Topping
- Java Chips
- Protein Powder
Frequently Asked Questions
What drinks at Starbucks are vegan?
Many Starbucks drinks are either vegan or can be made vegan. That includes classical coffee drinks such as cappuccinos and lattes, iced coffees, teas, and lemonades.
Is Starbucks matcha vegan?
Yes! Starbucks’ matcha is 100% vegan. You can order matcha tea which is just matcha powder and hot water. Or you can get a matcha latte – just make sure to ask for plant-based milk.
Are Starbucks syrups vegan?
Yes, vegans can enjoy the wide variety of syrups that Starbucks offers. Unlike their sauces that are not vegan-friendly, all the syrups are 100% plant-based.
Is Starbucks caramel vegan?
The caramel sauce is one of the non-vegan things at Starbucks. However, their caramel syrup is suitable for vegans.
Is Starbucks cold brew vegan?
Cold-brew is essentially just coffee beans and water. Starbucks has several cold brew options, and vegans do not have to worry about them not being suitable for a plant-based diet.
Is Starbucks white chocolate mocha vegan?
Unfortunately, the white chocolate mocha sauce is not vegan. Most sauces at Starbucks are not suitable for vegan people, except for the mocha sauce.
Is the pink drink at Starbucks vegan?
The pink drink is, indeed, 100% vegan! The famous Starbucks drink is made from Strawberry Acai Refresher, coconut milk, and a scoop of strawberries.