Most vegans know what it feels like to walk into a new restaurant without knowing if we will be able to find something to eat. Thankfully, pizza restaurants do a decent job of providing plant-based eaters with a meal option or two. Pizza places like Pizza Hut, Marco’s, and Papa John’s tend to have at least one item safe for vegans. Let’s take a look at the California Pizza Kitchen vegan options!
It is nice to be aware of every vegan option before heading in for a bite to eat. I was happy to learn that it is possible to order vegan at California Pizza Kitchen. They offer vegan-friendly pizzas, salads, pasta, appetizers, and more.
It is best to tell your server that you are vegan before ordering. The server can offer guidance and make sure all necessary food changes happen.
There are a handful of Vegan California Pizza Kitchen pizza options.
Like many other vegans, I would love it if California Pizza Kitchen had a pizza option that came already vegan. For now, there are a few pizzas you can order almost as they are, but with a few substitutions.
Pizzas that can be made vegan at California Pizza Kitchen include:
- Plant-Based BBQ Chicken Pizza (order without cheese). This pizza comes with BBQ sauce, red onions, and fresh cilantro.
- California Veggie Pizza (order without cheese). This pizza has broccolini, eggplant, cremini mushrooms, sun-dried tomatoes, roasted corn, and red onions.
- Wild Mushroom (order without any cheese). This pizza has shaved cremini, shiitake, portobello mushrooms, and slivered scallions.
You can also build your own vegan pizza! You will find all of the vegan pizza ingredients below.
Vegan pizza crust options at California Pizza Kitchen:
- Original Pizza Crust
- Crispy Thin Pizza Crust
The gluten-free cauliflower crust is not vegan because it contains eggs.
Vegan sauces and dips at California Pizza Kitchen:
- Pizza Marinara
- Spicy Marinara
- Vegetarian Black Bean
Vegan toppings available at California Pizza Kitchen:
- Smashed Avocado
- Red Onions
- Sun-dried Tomatoes
- Yellow Onions
- Bell Peppers
- Plant-based chicken
California Pizza Kitchen vegan options that aren’t pizza.
There are a few menu items that I assumed would be vegan but are not. For example, the spicy buffalo cauliflower is not vegan and contains eggs and dairy. There are still plenty of items safe for us vegans to enjoy.
Vegan appetizers and small plates at California Pizza Kitchen:
- White Corn Guacamole and Chips
- Lettuce Wraps (request only Chinese Vegetables)
- Bahn Mi (no chicken and no vinaigrette)
- Tuscan Hummus (both pita options are said to be vegan)
- Asparagus and Arugula Salad (request no cheese, only in Hawaii)
- Shaved Mushroom and Spinach Flatbread (ask for no cheese, only in Hawaii)
Vegan soups and salads at California Pizza Kitchen:
- Dakota Smashed Pea and Barley Soup
- Roasted Veggie Salad (no dijon balsamic vinaigrette and sub oil and vinegar)
- The Mediterranean Salad (no feta, no mustard herb vinaigrette, sub oil and vinegar)
Vegan dressings at California Pizza Kitchen:
- Oil and vinegar
Vegan pasta at California Pizza Kitchen:
Tomato Basil Spaghetti (comes with sauteed garlic and fresh basil)
Vegan kids menu options at California Pizza Kitchen:
- Fusilli Pasta (choose between Tomato Sauce or Olive Oil and add Baby Broccoli if you want)
- Fresh Fruit
- Create a kids pizza from any of the above vegan pizza options
Keep in mind that there is no way to guarantee that the items you order will be safe for those with allergies or sensitivities. They will always do their best, but your food will still be prepared using the same equipment. There is always a risk of cross-contamination.
Frequently Asked Questions
The bread that comes out when you first arrive is vegan-friendly.
At this time, California Pizza Kitchen does not have any vegan cheese options.
California Pizza Kitchen might not be the best restaurant for vegans, but there are plenty of vegan-friendly items, including pizzas, soups, salads, pasta, and appetizers. You will find every vegan item listed in this guide.