Del Taco has many really good vegan options, way more than competitors such as Taco Bell, including beyond meat tacos, which are quite unique in terms of fast-food, but you can easily make similar at home.
None the less, Del Taco is definitely a good place for a vegan to eat at and I’d never have trouble eating there as a vegan — my only real complaint is I wish the portions were bigger, as if I’m really hungry it can be quite expensive compared to a place like Chipotle’s or Freebirds.
Here is their vegetarian/vegan menu.
Vegan Main Meal's at Del Taco:
- Avocado Veggie Bowl (As-is)
- Beyond Meat Guacamole Taco (As-is)
- Beyond Meat Taco (Specify no Cheese)
- The Soft Del Taco (Specify No Cheese, Swap Meat for Beans or Beyond Meat — Same as Beyond Meat Taco but soft).
- Value Taco – (Specify No Cheese, swap the meat for beans for free)
- Beyond Meat 8 Layer Burrito (No Cheese or Sour Cream)
- 8 Layer Veggie Burrito (No Cheese or Sour Cream)
- Jacked Up Value Bean, Rice & Cheese Burrito (Specify No Cheese)
- CrunchTada Tostada (Specify No Cheese)
- 1/2 lb. Bean & Cheese Burrito (Specify No Cheese, try to swap it for Cilantro-Lime Rice for free)
Epic Beyond Cali Burrito (Specify no Sour Cream – not all locations?)
There’s also some quite nice salads we’ll talk about below, and other great vegan salsas/sauces to really spice things up. Personally my favorite of the above is the Epic Beyond Cali Burrito, but I’ve heard it’s not at all locations, which is a major bummer if it’s true.
Just a note, there’s a lot of nonsense being spread that Del Taco’s rice isn’t vegan and you have to specify you don’t want it. This is absolute nonsense; I’ve asked multiple employees, including one I know personally, contacted Del Taco corporate, and checked Del Taco’s allergen menu, and they all universally say that the Cilantro-Lime Rice is 100% Vegan-Friendly.
Vegan Sides at Del Taco:
- Beans & Cheese Side-Cup (Specify no Cheese, duh)
- Chips and Guacamole or Avocado
- Crinkle Cut Fries (As-is)
- Hashbrown Sticks (Breakfast Only?)
Unfortunately, other than salads that we’ll list in the salad section below, that’s all the vegan-friendly sides Del Taco has currently.
Del Taco’s Potato Poppers side isn’t vegan-friendly, but merely vegetarian, so make sure to give that side a pass.
Vegan Salad, Sauces, and Dressing Options at Del Taco:
- Signature Taco Salad (Specify No Cheese — Swap the Meat for Beans for Free or maybe Beyond Meat for a little extra)
- Cilantro Sauce
- Green Sauce
- Red Sauce
- Salsa Casera
- Taco Sauce
- California Chili Sauce
- Pico De Gallo
Well at this time Del Taco only has the above salad option, and it’s vegan as-is, and the only dressings or sauces they have are more taco-oriented ones, which is fine as it works great with a, well, TACO salad. You can add any of these to the Salad, or any entree, generally for free.
Vegan Dessert Options at Del Taco:
Unfortunately all the desserts at Del Taco contain dairy and/or eggs, and cannot be modified to make them vegan-friendly. Yes, that means Del Taco’s Churros aren’t vegan-friendly, which I know is a bummer for many folks as some churros are in fact Vegan-Friendly. Del Taco’s aren’t though.