Everything Vegan at IHOP (Late-2021)
IHOP, The international house of pancakes, isn’t the most vegan-friendly place, but they’re hardly the worst place for a vegan to find their self.
IHOP has numerous vegan options, nothing that compares to Denny’s Vegan Options, but still a few solid choices. You can definitely build a decent vegan meal at IHOP. Going every week to IHOP would get boring real quick, but once in a while is perfectly fine in my opinion.
Sadly they’ve yet to introduce vegan-friendly pancakes, although they’ve been rumouring it for over a year now.
Vegan Sides at IHOP:
- Hashbrowns (Order without butter or PAM spray)
- English Muffin (No Butter, get Jam instead!)
- Mixed Fruit Cup
- Grits and/or Oatmeal
- French Fries
- Plain Baked Potato
- Steamed Vegetables/Broccoli (No butter)
- Sautéed Veggies
Red Potato Pepper & Onion Hash
- Sourdough Toast (make it avocado toast with a side of avocado slices!)
While IHOP doesn’t have any real vegan main courses or meals set-up with the above options you can make a pretty kick-ass vegan meal. Personally, I’d probably end up getting the Red Potato Pepper & Onion Hash with some hash-browns, but that’s because I love potatoes a bunch. I’d probably just call that my meal. Or I’d pick up the English Muffin with grape jelly and have some oatmeal with it and sweeten it with one of their syrups (most are vegan, see below).
But maybe that’s not you, in which case feel free to add some “health” to your meal with some salad:
Vegan Soup & Salad Options at IHOP:
- House Salad
- Minestrone Soup (No Crackers, usually they’re not vegan)
- Creamy Italian Salad Dressing
- Fat-Free Raspberry Vinaigrette
- Orange Vinaigrette
- Raspberry Vinaigrette
- French Dressing
- Catalina Dressing
You can also get a few Salad Add-ins like Pickles, Onion, Bell peppers, mushrooms, or tomatoes, although it likely will cost extra. The salads I’ve seen given at IHOP aren’t too big, so if you plan it to be the main part of your meal I’d recommend letting them know that and see if you could get “a big House Salad.”
To clarify their Reduced-Fat Italian Dressing is NOT vegan like some others have reported. Their Allergen statement says it contains dairy.
Vegan Syrups & Other Useful Things at IHOP:
- Brown Sugar
- Various Jelly/Jam Flavors (all should be vegan)
- Sugar-Free (Maple-flavored) Syrup
- Blueberry Syrup
- Boysenberry Syrup
- Old Fashioned Maple Syrup
- Strawberry Syrup
Best Vegan Meal Choices at IHOP:
- Oatmeal with selected Syrup w/ English Muffin & Jelly/Jam
- Minestrone Soup & English Muffin for Dipping/Cracker-replacement
- “Big House Salad” with selected dressing and a Baked Potato or Fries if feeling Dirty
- Hashbrowns with Sauteed Vegetables or Red Potato Pepper & Onion Hash + Salad
At least that’s what I’d say are the best choices for us Vegans if you want a more “normal” seeming meal. You can always get some fries and put them in your salad with some Jelly if that’s your thing though. Feel free to do that (:
Hopefully one day IHOP makes a Vegan Pancake option or introduces a Veggie Burger that’s Vegan like Denny’s has. But for now at least there’s more than just hashbrowns with a side of hashbrowns like the Waffle House offers us Vegans. Alright, okay you can get a salad and toast there too, but they don’t have all the dressings or other yummy things IHOP or Denny’s has.